Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

WINDOWS UPDATE breaks Quark, Corel, who knows what else?

Thomas Phinney
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

If you use OpenType fonts with PS outlines (.otf) or PostScript Type 1 fonts, reportedly the latest Windows update is a bit dangerous. Read this before you decide to install!

http://graphics-unleashed.unleash.com/2012/12/windows-update-kb2753842-w...

NOTE: I have not verified this in person, as I don't use Corel or Quark apps. I also don't yet know whether any other major apps may be affected.

marcox

Thanks for the link, Thomas. A number of my PC-using colleagues complained today that their Powerpoint presentations no longer properly display our OpenType corporate font.

JamesM

Thanks for the warning. I use a Mac but I'm passing the message along to some clients who use PCs to view files I send them such as PowerPoints.

Thomas Phinney

Apparently PowerPoint is affected in presentation mode only. Extra dangerous as one could not know there was a problem until trying to actually present. Ouch.

Zuhair Albazi

Thank you Thomas.
I spend my whole day to correct the problem, uninstalled and installed several things. Just came across your this thread and knew the reason of the problem. My all documents formatting appeared to be destroyed in MS Word 2010.
After reading this I also uninstalled all the updates along with the above mentioned one and re-installed the MS Word 2010 but in vain.
I have to wait a few days and see if Microsoft releases any fix. The other way is to re-install Windows XP and every thing, quite a long work.
MZ,

Nick Shinn

I’m planning to release my next typeface in .ttf format only, rather than .otf—for issues concerning screen rendering—this news suggest another reason.

gargoyle

Bear in mind, this isn't the first Windows update to fix security bugs in its font-handling code, apparently it's just the first one to break functionality. And from what I can gather, this latest vulnerability affects TrueType fonts as well; the update only breaks OTF fonts since they typically use a different system rasterizer and API call. But the overall threat does seem more serious now that every major browser supports webfonts, so simply visiting a website could load a malicious font.

dberlowgone

"I’m planning to release my next typeface in .ttf format only, rather than .otf—for issues concerning screen rendering—..."

Nick, I think that's trowing the baby out wit da bat water. I'm sure they'll fix it soon, with the main reason to support .otf on windows being issues concerning screen rendering of .ttfs.

These font security patches sure are important to keep us all safe from malicious fonts.

• 2 weeks later...