Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Typographic Travel to Europe

lizkel
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hello! I'm taking a solo backpacking trip through Europe in January and February. I'll be going through Iceland, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, and Istanbul for sure. Other than that, my plans are open. I love typography, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for great typography/design sites? I was planning a Bauhaus day trip to Dessau, but beyond that I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thank you!

John Hudson

In Amsterdam, be sure to visit Nijhof & Lee, the most excellent typography and design bookshop, now located in the special collections building of the University of Amsterdam (be aware that Google Maps may still point you to the old location, so best to search for 'Bijzondere Collecties' to locate the building).

In London, the British Library is definitely worth a visit even if you don't have an excuse to get a reader card and spend some time doing actual work there. Their well-reviewed exhibition of Mughal Indian manuscripts will be on while you are there, and their permanent exhibit remains amazing even though I have been there many times.

When you know your dates for London, check to see what events might be on at the St Bride Printing Library and the Letter Exchange society; the latter hold their events in an extraordinary Arts & Crafts guild house.