Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Book about typeface design software?

afonseca1974
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for an (good :) ) article or book about Typeface design software throughout History.
When did start, names, dates and so on...
Can anyone help?
Thank you in advance.
António.

quadibloc

That is a nice chart.

The first post, though, referred to the subject in a way that I found odd - it seemed as though the OP was looking for a chart that would show the kind of typeface design software in use at the time of, say, the Battle of Hastings. "Throughout history" implies that something is shown over the entire span of time since the invention of writing, as opposed to only throughout its own history.

afonseca1974

Thank you all for the info.
In fact, the infographic timeline of font software and formats from Pedro Amado is great start.
Now, getting some info about some of those software and formats is hard...

Thanks again!
António

Karl Stange

I have found an essay from the Department of Computer Science at Stanford University, Letterform Design Systems by Lynn Ruggles, a PDF of which can be downloaded using the link below (this link will trigger a download depending on your browser):

ftp://reports.stanford.edu/pub/cstr/reports/cs/tr/83/971/CS-TR-83-971.pdf

It includes an overview of the InTeractive Synthesizer of LetterForms (ITSLF) designed by H. W. Mergler and Y. M. Vargo in 1967, the first system in Pedro's infographic. I have only just started reading through this but it actually addresses your initial request very nicely.

afonseca1974

Karl
That article is cited (comments area) in the above article from Pedro Amado so I already have it, but thanks anyway!
Now I just need the same for all the other software:)

António

Karl Stange

Sorry, I should have looked beyond the flashy graphics! You may find, if so motivated, that the best way to proceed is compiling that information yourself based on (amongst other things) the incredible range of first hand sources to be found on Typophile and in the wider and very friendly type community.

• 2 weeks later...