The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Joel Kaden?

Celeste
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hello Typophiles
Does anybody have some basic biographical information about Joel Kaden, designer of the light and medium weights of ITC American Typewriter in 1974 ? Thank you very much.

Celeste

I've already tried it, I'm afraid — two of the links are dead, one is irrelevant, and the last one (to the Linotype website) doesn't bring much… But thank you anyway.

HVB

I'm sure you've found that there was a Joel Kaden, born Feb 12, 1914, SSN issued in New York State, who died in Orlando, FL on July 12, 2003.

Some of the genealogy sites (most with 3 days to two weeks free one-time trial access) indicate that they have more information. At least one site indicated that there was an obituary in the Orlando Sentinel, but at the newspaper's site I did a search for the name with a date range of all of 2003 and it found nothing.

Celeste

No, actually, I hadn't found that — this is definitely a lead and I will investigate that. Thank you very much.
St.

PS : if this is the man, he would have been 60 when he designed American Typewriter. Amazing.

HVB

From what I've found, he worked with ITC's Tony Stan on American Typewriter, who lived from 1917-1987 or 1988, similar ages, which of course proves nothing.

Celeste

It's definitely not what I meant : my idea was more that the whimsical qualities of American Typewriter are not readily associated with old, seasoned professionals. But those were the 1970s, so who knows ?

HVB

And you don't think that seasoned professionals like George Burns, Groucho Marx, Don Rickles, Milton Berle, Phyllis Diller, and on and on can have and professionally use and capitalize their whimsical qualities?

piccic

In fact, American Typewriter is pretty sophisticated. I couldn’t imagine a novice type designer working on it.
Besides this, I think I will more or less start doing something good when (and if) I get older (I am 43).