The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

IBC (International Building Code) signage font regulations/restrictions.

cmitch5
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody knew of any IBC restrictions on certain fonts. It's pretty specific on height minimums but I cant determine whether or not you can use lowercase letters and if there is a font list or description of unacceptable characters, weights etc. ADA signage literature is pretty specific in all of these areas. Dont want to break any IBC code on a current project.
Any info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Karl Stange

I am not 100% clear if this is exactly what you are looking for (depending on your browser this will attempt to trigger a direct download of the PDF):

http://www.access-board.gov/ada-aba/comparison/comparison.pdf

It certainly does not provide all of the additional information you need, but it does specify:

ANSI 703.2.2 Case. Characters shall be
uppercase, lowercase, or a combination of
both.

Otherwise all instances of font references appear to be specific to characteristics of uppercase letters.