Join our community of friends of typography!

Alte Haas Grotesk alternatives / Trying to find its author

apankrat
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Looking for an alternative to Alte Haas Grotesk. More specifically, I'd like to find a subtly rounded variation of Helvetica that also has a webfont license.

--

AHG is a great looking font if you don't look at the actual curves, which look as if they were auto-vectorized from a scanned image. This unfortunately translates into outline artifacts when rasterized in the browsers, most notably the lowercase o -

I was thinking of actually of opening up the TTF and fixing the outlines, but I can't seem to find any way to contact the author, who is listed as "yann le coroller". There's a website mentioned in the TTFs, but it is missing in action. Does anyone know this person? Or perhaps, Yann, are on this forum by any chance?

apankrat

I saw the website, but I am not sure if it's the same person as his expertise field is different. Though AHG might've been an one-off project.

(edit) Emailed him, let's see how it goes.