The type specimens of the world in one database …

Join the “Letterform a day” Project

nicolas.cervantes
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

HI guys,
I've started a project called the LADproject, it's a "letterform a day" exercise. I was hoping to see if anyone else would like to join me in this experiment/project. The basics of it are, to "find" or make a letterform a day for 50 days. It can be found anywhere or in anything. You can make one or draw one. Paint one or just find one that's already made. I consider it an exercise to open up the possibilities of what can be considered typography, or where we can find typography.
Inspired by Stefan Sagmeister and Michael Beirut, I've dedicated myself to find or make a letterform a day. You can follow the progress here...http://nicolascervantes.wordpress.com/ Post your letterforms there and also comment. Thanks guys, here's aB that jumped out at me today.

Nick Shinn

…what can be considered typography…

Hardly.
By the same token all sounds are music, anything one puts in one’s mouth food.
Not that I have anything against your proposed activity—just the terminology!
At any rate, it’s always good to see images at Typophile, as well as talk about type.
Let’s see how far you can stay this course.

John Hudson

I agree with Nick: if it ain't type, it ain't typography. Which is not to say it isn't interesting in its own right, as a way of looking at the world through the filter of letter shapes. And if you were to collect all these images into a Photofont, then it would be type and you could make typography, of a kind, with it.

Nick Shinn

When I first started teaching type design at York University, about 10 years ago, it was rather open-ended, meaning that students came up with their own ideas for typefaces—and this method (photo-found letter forms) was used by several to kick-start their projects, generally because they weren’t inspired directly by the world of type, not because of any Sagmeister influence.

Guest 1Gary00-spammer

Time: October 20th -26, 30 minutes to 72 Replica rolex hours 3 days after long-term taking a box of ten cycle for a limited number of gifts and sale amount given date applicable to the crowd :deficiency of the kidney ,impotence, premature ****, male sexual dysfunction ,urinary urgency ,weakness ,dizziness ,Yaoxisuanruan ,fatigue .
Fuzhou :new north two Street store pharmacy ( provincial hospital outpatient building across the ramp) Taijiang appropriate and good pharmacy ( up to the road Asia Plaza ) Kuraama Yasuke pharmacies (three road for Fu Temple ) hall and three various of chain drug stores Yixian of chain drug stores ( Xiangshan store ,fire station shop ,shop ,shop and drum screen ) north of the new dream store ( Institute of opposite) new North Branch ( infectious disease hospital opposite) new northern elephant garden shop (South Rolex Replica Xiecheng a new outpatient building Hua Rong ) North Drugstore ( front cross road police officer next to the school) copper plate road Yi and good Nanshan old drug industry Fuxing Road ( South Park ) appropriate and good ( beside the church Jisheng Carrefour ) pharmacy ( Fu Cheap Replica tag heuer watches North Gate) seasons drug stores ( old Chau medicine in primary Louboutin replicas shoes school side ) of Chinese Pharmacy ( the province body opposite the East Gate) ,with appropriate and good North Road ( opposite the Jianheng Pharmacy Administration ) crossing Jiuzhoutong pharmacies ( food market mouth ) Taijiang and pharmacies (old drug Island Road ) Taijiang ,Shiseido Danren pharmacy pharmacy (still ,Conley replica omega to pharmacies ( min ) River crossing ) College of Pharmacy ( Hui Cheung on the ferry crossing ) Kura Yamamakoto Xinda pharmacies ( trigeminal Street side of the station ) Xiang Cheng pharmacies ( old student street beside the normal side ) and Pharmacy ( Jinshan Jinshan primary school opposite the ramp) Kimama Keiko ( pharmacy market entrance) cauda equina: Johnson drug stores ( Jun Bamboo Road ) Fuqing :Banyan spring pharmacies ( after the Po Street Yellow Crane Tower replica rolex watches for sale restaurant opposite ) always benefit pharmacy ( Changle Park ) :the first Medicines Co Cheap Replica rolex watch ( opposite City Hall ) three and Church pharmacies ( under the River Street

nicolas.cervantes

Very true, maybe I chose the wrong words to describe the project. I like the way you put it as a filter through which to see the world. It's a good filter, wouldn't you agree? While I do love letterforms that are traditional, this exercise is just to keep my mind open to the possibilities. I do like the inspiration it's been garnishing. In the right context, these found letterforms could work.