Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Typographic world map

Vladimirsson
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

A while ago I have finished yet another typographic world map. The project is heavily inspired by TypoMaps, the difference being that I set the country names in their official languages and scripts, and was being more accurate with all the small islands and independent territories (also I think I followed the actual borders more carefully). I will appreciate any comments, especially about how well non-latin/cyrillic/greek part (Arabic, in particular) matches the main font (Helvetica).

The JPG render of the map is attached, or you can download the EPS from my homepage (direct download link for the version with default size and colors).

map_small.jpg

hrant

Cool idea. Could I see a zoom of Armenia? It's just east of Turkey. Actually it's the eastern 1/3 of Turkey but that's another story. :-)

hhp

hrant

Ah, sorry I wasn't paying attention.
FYI the Armenian text looks fine to me.

BTW how have you handled countries with multiple official scripts and/or languages?

hhp

Vladimirsson

> how have you handled countries with multiple official scripts and/or languages?

By choosing the most used one from the list of official languages (according to Wiki and other sources), or, in case of a tie, the one in which the name looked most interesting. It was not exact science, I admit, but most of the times the choice was quite clear.

dudefellow

It is like the cover of the book "Empires of the Word", subtitled "A Language History of the World", by Nicholas Ostler.

• 1 year later...