Join our community of friends of typography!

What Metric to Use for Typesetting on Signage

neuralism
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi guys

When printing on paper, I use points spec everything, such as my baseline grids, leading, etc.

However, now that I'm working on a signage project, the contractors require me to spec everything in millimetres — such as the cap height, margins and so on because it would not make sense for them to measure something that is "4.1574931 mm" or anything like that.

Does this mean I should use millimetres for everything now? Such as margins, leading, baselines grids? How will it affect the overall aesthetic? Would using millimetres for leading go against any typographic best practices?

Would be great if anyone could share how they set up their canvas. Any insight would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Riccardo Sartori

I don’t know about signage, but I set up all my DTP documents using millimetres: since I start with paper sizes expressed in mm (usually A4, 210×297mm) I find much easier setting a grid (margin, columns, baseline, etc.), it greatly simplifies any calculation involved. The rest is eye ;)

JamesM

> Does this mean I should use millimetres
> for everything now?

I'd assume so, but you should ask the signage contractors.

Normally text in signage is much larger than in a printed document, so millimeters should work okay. Just design the signage as you wish and then convert the measurements.