Jump to content
Join our community of friends of typography!

Term for cursive "r" used in America?

Recommended Posts

In Australia, this form of writing the letter "r" is virtually non-existent.
When I'm looking to buy a font I want to be able to exclude font's that use this style of "r" ...

... but I have no idea what the term is to describe it?
I have attached an example of the word "stroke" that uses this type of "r"

Thank you for any help - I have been driving myself "nuts" trying to Google this!


  • very interesting! 1
Link to comment

In old, handwritten manuscripts, the lowercase r existed in various forms, depending on whether it started or ended a word and the letters to which it connected. The Palmer Method (late 19th/early 20th century) of teaching handwriting in the US taught both styles (as is still the case in many other countries), but when it was supplanted by the Zaner-Bloser method in the 1950s and the D'Nealian method in the 1970s, only the bottom-connecting style of r survived.

My parents were taught the Palmer Method, I was taught Zaner-Bloser.

I’ve always thought of the two styles as top- or middle-connecting and bottom-connecting, but there doesn’t seem to be a formal name for them.


  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thank you very much for the information ... I really appreciate the time you took to respond.
I'm finding many more script fonts with that "American cursive" r
I may be making more of an issue than it is - but it is rarely used in Australia except for the older generation.
Looks like I will continue to review each font one by one.

Again, thanks for relieving my frustration.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Wayfinding Sans Pro: proven legibility for signage use.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We are placing functional cookies on your device to help make this website better.