The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Using Optical weights in other sizes

Verism

Hi,

I'm working on a project for a client with a limited budget, meaning that I'm pretty much limited to free/cheap fonts. Fortunately, I've come across a great variable font "Literata" from Paratype, with axes for both weight and optical size. However, I really like how the lower optical weights look at larger sizes; in my opinion it works really well for titles, and has just the right sort of texture and feel that I'm looking for. 

That being said, I can't help but wonder if I'm committing some heinous typographic crime by using 7pt optical size at 48pt+... Is this something that you just don't do, or should I not concern myself with the numbers and just go with what feels right?

Thanks

Ralf Herrmann
31 minutes ago, Verism said:

wonder if I'm committing some heinous typographic crime by using 7pt optical size at 48pt+... 

I see no problem with that. The other way around would be highly problematic, but using a more sturdy design in larger sizes – there is nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Richard Hunt

As Walter Tracy writes in Letters of Credit, "text types when enlarged can be used for headings, display types, if reduced, cannot be used for text setting."

• Like 1