Join our community of friends of typography!

Roboto pros and cons?

Albert

What do you think about Roboto? Is it any good? I kind of like it on my phone and playing with it for the design of a small software company but I saw on Wikipedia that it got some really bad reception. "Four-headed Frankenfont", "Helvetica ripoff" and the like. So is it really a good choice?

Albert

Also, after putting Roboto in the font folder I can use it in Apple's and Adobe's apps but it doesn't show up in Word. :-(

Ralf Herrmann

Also, after putting Roboto in the font folder I can use it in Apple's and Adobe's apps but it doesn't show up in Word. :-(

​Out of curiosity I tried it myself, thinking it should be easy to resolve, but I can’t get it to work either. I tried different versions of the font and cleaning the MS font cache, but it doesn’t show up in my Word 2008 for Mac. 

Maybe there is something wrong in the name table of the font‽ There is also an open bug report about problems with Office. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Riccardo Sartori

​The three most powerful corporation in tech today, gazillions of dollars and bright minds at their disposal... and they can't make a font work...

robotonoluck.thumb.png.4bcaea408f9c885c0

d0nev

"Helvetica ripoff" and the like

​Talking about ripoff I believe Helvetica is the one of the most famous ripoffs of all time (check Akzidenz Grotesk). Roboto is not so bad as it is written in the Wikipedia article. Of course choosing fonts it is a matter of personal taste but I don't see Roboto as being bad. On top of everything it is open source so you can edit it to fit your needs. Free/Open Source fonts are not bad nowadays as they were in the past.

​I use the latest version of Roboto, downloaded from Google Fonts and it works flawlessly in MS Word. I am using Windows as operating system so the problem is in Office for Mac I believe.