The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Academic paper font.

bellefont

My brother is writing his dissertation and wants to be a little creative but still formal. Is there anything else better than times new roman font size 12? Another font that would make his thesis look bombe? :winking:

Riccardo Sartori

I personally have a soft spot for type systems that include both sans and serif designs (a monospaced one could also come handy). It also depends on the subject matter of the dissertation, of course.

Alegreya offers a lively and somewhat quirky appearance, while probably one can’t go more fresh yet dead serious than the brand new IBM Plex.

• Like 1
Ralf Herrmann

It’s hard to say one typeface is better or worse in general. It depends on what you are after. Technical/modern, classic/elegant, calligraphic, decorative, traditional/legible, … It’s a matter of style. And of technical requirements: Does the paper need special characters? Are there lots of tables? How many styles of one type family are needed?

• Like 2
  • very interesting! 1
bellefont
22 hours ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

It’s hard to say one typeface is better or worse in general. It depends on what you are after. Technical/modern, classic/elegant, calligraphic, decorative, traditional/legible, … It’s a matter of style. And of technical requirements: Does the paper need special characters? Are there lots of tables? How many styles of one type family are needed?

A few diagrams but that's just about it! He studies social sciences so it's very theoretical as opposed to figures. I guess this is why the font matters to him.

bellefont

Like i mentioned before...the standard in the academic world is usually  Times New Roman 12' but i guess he is looking for a better version from this context. I just thought i would ask but it's not like the world would end if he didn't get a good recommendation..haha :smirking-face:

Riccardo Sartori
2 hours ago, bellefont said:

the standard in the academic world is usually  Times New Roman 12

Then use Tinos (AKA Liberation Serif), that is metric-compatible with Times, which is to say that, if you switch from one font to the other, the text will maintain the exact same length.

• Like 1
Abraham Lee

I used Linux Libertine for my masters thesis and I liked how it turned out.

And if you want ready-access to any font's OpenType features, recent versions of LibreOffice makes this very easy.

• Like 1
bellefont

Thanks a lot guys! This were very useful suggestions. Now the Champ is confused on what to settle on in the end because they are all really good! :winking:

• amusing 1