Jump to content

Editorial Font Classification


Recommended Posts

This is an example of a type of font commonly used in newspapers and other editorial, text-heavy publications. One of its features is ball terminals. I am wondering if there is a name for these types of editorial fonts (beyond "serifs," of course).


Link to comment

I wouldn’t say this points to a specific classification category. It’s just a feature of text typefaces that developed over time. The “old style” fonts didn’t have it yet …

After them came the “transitional” fonts with a tear-drop shape …

And actual ball terminals came with the “Didone” typefaces. 


  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks, very helpful. I'm trying to narrow down my search for an editorial typeface (or combination of typefaces) that is similar to the sample at top. Searching for "editorial typeface"  or even "news typeface" has been of limited effectiveness.

Link to comment

That is very much from the same era. The 'fat' and 'bold' faces are a bit too ... artistic/displayish ... but other than that, this is very close.

The 1983 LA Times "Rocket" example above is similar to today's LATimes.com, Boston Globe.com, and (sort of) NYTimes.com. You can really see the ball terminal and just the overall style it in the lowercase c.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You can also check out our Privacy Policy