Join our community of friends of typography!

hidden typographic messages 'red reveal'/'blue reveal'

unitprodesign
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

i am interested in trying out a technique whereby one would use a filter to reveal a message from an overlay of coloured type, a little like the 3d glasses principle.

does anyone have any idea what the print process is for this, for example which pantones are recommended, where to get the filters etc...

i have found a printers that can do this, but it is not a big run and i don't have the budget. can anyone help?

oldnick

Back in the 1950s, if I lost the glasses that came with a 3D comic book, I could make my own with lollipop wrappers (cherry and grape -- worked pretty well, actually). Many years later, when a local TV station broadcast "Creature from the Black Lagoon" in 3D, I made my own glasses (and those for several guests at a 3d TV party) from theatrical lighting gels. The gels are more readily available at stage lighting companies (check the Yellow Pages), are consistent in color and are reasonably priced.

Printing process is not important -- good-quality color copies will work as well as printing, but the exact colors you use will probably have to be determined by trial and error. In my limited experience of goofing around with 3D drawing, I found that lighter shades or red and blue work better at "disappearing" when the appropriate gel is used.

Miss Tiffany

Stefan Sagmeister did that trick on the cover of his book, didn't he? I would think the inks need to be semi-transparent. It seem I have a book at home that has the english in red and the dutch in blue...or something like that. I'll have to find that and check it out for you. Unless, of course, someone knows how at the moment.

It seems to me that the printer you have found that can do this would know which colors you should use. No?

unitprodesign

he was very anal and would not give anything away... think it's a bit of a secret! i will have a look at the book though, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
cerulean

Colored cellophane is easy to find in craft stores now.

From what I remember of the cheap "magic window" stuff, all you need is a pure red for the obscuring pattern and a light cyan for the hidden print. Both should be screened if possible. That way, the eye doesn't pick up telltale outlines because all it can see are dots.

• 3 years later...
designer_sanjay

How can i make hidden typographic messages 'red reveal'/'blue reveal' for this any software or any trick. please suggest me ASAP.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

It seem I have a book at home that has the english in red and the dutch in blue...or something like that.

I need to know that title! If you or anyone else could help - much appreciated. I've seen an article about this book somewhere but I can't find it. Thanks.

________
AL

• 1 year later...
thompson

I am currently sourcing the acetate paper for this. Is anyone willing to share their resources? Where did you find the transparent red acetate? Anyone have success with the effect? Which colors did you use?
Thanks!!

• 4 years later...
Kevin Paolozzi

I just came across this thread after tirelessly looking for the book mentioned above! Would anyone have the name? The posted links are dead after so long.

Kevin Thompson

Don’t know anything about the Dutch book, but the other book referenced is simply titled Sagmeister, written by Peter Hall, and published by Booth-Clibborn Editions (2001).

It features a red plastic slipcase that, when on the book, displays an image of a happy German Shepard named Xeno. When you remove the slipcase, the image of Xeno changes from friendly hound to snarling attack dog. You can see it here:
http://designblog.rietveldacademie.nl/?tag=dog

JamesM

> When you remove the [red] slipcase, the image of Xeno
> changes from friendly hound to snarling attack dog.

Interesting technique. Some early black-and-white movies (such as one of the early Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movies) used red/green makeup and red/green lights to make a character's appearance change in real time. Since it was a b&w movie the audience couldn't see the color change.