Typography.Guru
Greg Yerbury

Paladin Font by Softmaker

Greg Yerbury

I noticed today that Softmaker have created  this font but  it seems to be is an upgrade of this old Casady and Greene font. To me it seems disappointing there is no credit given to the earlier design.

Ralf Herrmann

Can’t say what the original version is in this case, but yes, the Softmaker library mostly consists of non-original designs and is therefore one I usually try to avoid. The legal status of their fonts can be debated, but that is hard to do without reviewing contracts we don’t have access to. I’ve heard things, but I wouldn’t wanna make claims in a public forum. 

• very interesting! 1

Riccardo Sartori

I also wondered what is the relationship between Softmaker and TypeShop Collection.

Gecko

A lot of what I have seen from Softmaker are all typefaces I personally bought from Serials over 20 years ago.

Greg Yerbury

Interesting Luc devroye has Paladin by Casady and Greene as 1988. It would seem that the Casady and Greene version is older but there maybe some licensing agreement.