Jump to content
The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Traditional typography glossaries in English?

Recommended Posts

Ralf Herrmann

When typography terms are debated again, I like to check very old sources and I know good ones in German, but are there such books which can be considered a “standard” in English? I mean book which are like 100, 200 or more years old and describe printing/typography terms and are hopefully also available as scans. 

(Literally) a case in point: I saw some slightly varying explanations about the origins of the words uppercase and lowercase this week and that’s a typical case where I would like to check old sources to learn more about the traditional understanding and origin of such terms. 

Link to comment
Kevin Thompson

Still searching for a source for you, but I always understood the terms as deriving from the drawer positions on a traditional typecase cabinet—uppercase on the upper tier, lowercase on the bottom.

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Our partners

The largest selection of professional fonts for any project. Over 130,000 available fonts, and counting.
Discover the fonts from the Germany foundry FDI Type. A brand of Schriftkontor Ralf Herrmann.
Get to your apps and creative work. Explore curated inspiration, livestream learning, tutorials, and creative challenges.
Discover the Best Deals for Freelance Designers.
Graublau Sans Pro: A versatile font family with 18 styles
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.