Typography.Guru
Woody22

Your opinion on the giant letters exposed in Saint-Brieuc

Woody22

Hi everybody,

The Municipality of the city where I live has installed giant letters on a square to stimulate its attractiveness.

I find their shapes quite strange, but I am not an expert.

And you what is your opinion about this typography?

Thank you for your answers
Woody

lettrages.jpg

Ralf Herrmann

I don’t see much problems with it to be honest. In this kind of “display use” context, I prefer a unique look over a bland/overused typeface. They could have used Arial. That would have been bad. 😉 

• Like 1
  • amusing 1

hyvyys

The first thing I noticed about this lettering is the quirky yet fun and interesting /N. However the letterforms could indeed use some refining, as they have a very constructed appearance (the perfectly-semicircular curves, the spine of /S approaching horizontal) with little optical correction (e.g. the thick join in /B). Another thing that strucks me is how the narrow proportions of /N are compared to /A and the rest. This could be a valid design decision, I'm just not sure that would be my preference.

• Like 2