The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Texas Type Schools?

duncan
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Does anyone know of and recommend any schools with typography programs in Texas?

I live in Austin, TX and my addiction to type design grows stronger every day. Problem is, I have no formal education on the subject. Books have been a lot of help, but I would really like to take some classes or in some way learn from someone more learned than I.

Also, are there any Texas based type foundries or studios that perhaps I could look into?

Thanks for any information you can provide,

Duncan

duncan

I am not necessarily looking to stay in Austin.

When I browsed through UT's online course listings it didn't look like they had any type specific classes. Browse being the operative word there, I may have missed something...?

Did you attend UT, mnot?

• 4 weeks later...
hlvtca

UT would be your best bet....they have the strongest program in Texas. Other than that, you should look at Reading in London, or if you want a closer option....you could try to move close to some american type foundries and pray for an internship.

• 1 year later...
uppercaseH

I realize this was almost one year ago, but I live in Louisiana and hear good things about University of North Texas from time to time. I attend Northwestern State University of Louisiana, and can't not recommend it enough. Not that the professors are bad, but the rest of the faculty is simply out-and-out useless if you ever have a problem that it is their job to solve (which you will, because they are completely inept.)

• 1 month later...
stefpep

I'm from Texas, and I would say UNT (University of North Texas) would be your best bet. It's one of the strongest design schools in Texas. If you ask me, a lot of their work can be very expected and redundant, but the type is usually handled very well. It's in Denton, a small town near Dallas, which has a very strong design community. Not too terribly far from Austin. Good luck!

stefpep

Unless you're talking about designing typefaces. Then, I'm not sure even UNT would have something for you. Hmmm I can't think of any programs in Texas. Again, good luck.