The type specimens of the world in one database …

What is a Victorian Era Typeface?

Fournier

¶ I'd like to start a thread about a topic that remains rather unclear. How do you define the typeface from the Victorian era?

¶ I always find four designers related to that kind:

the German-born Carl Schraubstadter Jr, Gustave F. Schroeder and Hermann Ihlenburg

the American John F. Cumming

Oddly enough, not a single British designer is highlit. I watched some catalogues from French foundries of the late XIX th century with this kind of typeface.

¶ Can you help me with this riddle?

Stephen Coles

Victorian is sometimes just an easy shorthand for anything produced around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. But even applicable for an ornamental style.

Yes, it sounds like an odd word to use for anything not British, but these designers were mostly working for American foundries during the bunk of their career, so their decorative designs are more Anglo that German after all. 

• Like 1
Fournier

¶ From what I read that style of typefaces goes from 1875 till 1900.

¶ Find some examples of typefaces:

Carl Schraubstadter, Jr and Gustave F. Schroeder (Hogarth, Houghton, Romana, Victoria, De Vinne

Hermann Ihlenburg (Bradley, Ringlet, Isabella, Zinco)

John F. Cumming (Kismet, Renaissant)

¶ Any thoughts on Dan X. Solo's book entitled:

Victorian Display Alphabets (Lettering, Calligraphy, Typography)?