Jump to content
Click here and support our Kickstarter campaign

Terminology question about capital M's


Recommended Posts

In some faces, the center strokes of the capital M touch down to the baseline, while others float above, either at the X height or some other position. Is there a term for this?M_Comparison.thumb.png.3a44c1f62b79a1d04

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have never heard a term for it. And I doubt it exists. Mainly because that’s just one of hundreds of type design decisions with gradual options. We might clearly separate structural differences, like a one-story and two-story “a” or the difference between a rounded or straight letter part, but that M section can end really anywhere, so I think it’s unlikely that certain options (from an endless amount of gradual options) or the design choice itself gets its own term. I would probably call it “high/low vertex of the M” while describing a typeface. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You can also check out our Privacy Policy