Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

CAN I TYPE 2 KASRA, 2 DAMMA, 2 FATHA on each other

Ashfaq_Niazi
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Respected Sir,
I am developing a Quranic Font. Here in the Quranic Script there are two shapes of Dammatan, two of Fathatan and two of kasratan. But in unicode there are only one position for these shapes.
I need two shapes for fathatan, dammatan and kasratan.
I try to achieve the second option, I make three shapes for them and put them in seperate glyph.
I tried to achieve this glyph or shape using ccmp feature, NOT WORKED, I tried to use this by mkmk, NOT WORKED, I tried through Cursive attachment, NOT WORKED, I tried some more logics but failed.
Some Aeraab's (diacritics) are working on each other but I need when I press fatha fatha it replaces my required glyph.

Can I achieve this. I am trying to do this in MS Word now.

Thanks in advance.

Atif

It seems Uniscribe(Microsoft OpenType Engine) has some restrictions which disallow some invalid combinations (ref:http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/arabicot/other.htm).

I will request experts to please discuss whether these type of checks (Grammar or Spell) should be made at Uniscribe level? My personal opinion it should not.

--
Best Regards,
Atif Gulzar

I ◘◘◘◘ Unicode, ɹɐzlnƃ ɟıʇɐ

John Hudson

I agree that what amount to spellchecking should not be applied at the Uniscribe level, and never miss an opportunity to tell Microsoft this. However...

In the case of the different kinds of dammatan, fathatan and kasratan in Quranic typesetting, these have been proposed for distinct encoding in Unicode and are likely to be approved.