The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Proofing printer

• 2 weeks later...
Florian Fecher

I know some people who are happy with their Samsung models, but as far as I know, only Xerox and Ricoh offer true (not emulated) Adobe PS3. At Xerox e.g., there’s a range of models with 1200×1200 dpi and genuine Adobe PS3, from a colour Phaser 6600 to the B/W Phaser 5550, which some at TypeDrawers recommended. Last mentioned thread and this one are a good source if you start looking around.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Rui Abreu

Thanks Florian,

I ended up buying a Xerox 6027, it's decent though not as good as the 3615 which was really good, but too expensive for me.

Florian Fecher

15 hours ago, Chris Lozos said:

Does Ricoh now off true Adobe PSIII?  Which model and when?  Mine does not.

It’s only a small range, I don’t know since when. Searching for models by means of specific characteristics is a mess on most of the printer manufacturers’ websites. There’s a German test portal with a pretty decent search tool, e.g. Ricoh laser printers up to 3000€ (≈desktop), 1200×1200 dpi, PS.

PS seems to be Adobe PS in contrast to PS (Kompatibel), apparently representing PS emulated. The results are not always accurate, use it as a starting point only. I checked the last five models excluding those marked EOL (=end-of-life). The last four show Adobe® PostScript® 3™ in their PDL-specs on Ricoh’s website, e.g. the SP 3610SF. However, the MP C306ZSP also listed in the results does not (there’s another page where they specify in a footnote that PostScript® 3™ means that it “does not run genuine PostScript® but an emulation”).