Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Gotham alternatives?

Albert

Are there free fonts wich look similar to Gotham and can be used on wordpress blogs? I already checked Dafont but they have so many fonts and categories, its hard to find alternatives for certain fonts there.

• 2 weeks later...
thetypographist

Hey Albert,

may have a look on fontsquirrel, there should be some good alternatives too. But to be honest, why not buying “Proxima Nova”? I know it’s not free but quite cheap. And it will fit your need perfectly.

Best regards 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
davelab6

Montserrat and Gotham started from a similar idea: looking at the architectural stone carving letters of 20s found in the designer's city (New York for Gotham, Buenos Aires for Montserrat) 

So the 2 designs are in the same genre, but original designs - like Proxima Nova

• Like 1
Ralf Herrmann

Montserrat and Gotham started from a similar idea: looking at the architectural stone carving letters of 20s found in the designer's city (New York for Gotham, Buenos Aires for Montserrat) 

​Yes, I know these “official” stories. ;-)

Edited by Ralf Herrmann
davelab6

​Yes, I know these “official” stories. ;-)

I doubt Albert does; but you seem to be suggesting that there is a 'real' unofficial story here - that Montserrat was intentionally created to substitute for Gotham. Would you suggest the same of Proxima Nova? 

Proxima Sans was released in 1994, Gotham in 2000, Proxima Nova in 2005, Montserrat in 2011. 

Riccardo Sartori

you seem to be suggesting that there is a 'real' unofficial story here

​I think that what Ralf is implying is that the “let’s be inspired by vernacular sign lettering” is mostly a narrative used to justify what otherwise could be seen just as yet another geometric sans. This is even more evident with lowercase, for which there really aren’t many models in architectural lettering. Gotham seems to have used mostly Avenir as a model there, while another similar attempt, Novecento, perhaps rightly skipped lowercase altogether. 

• Like 1
davelab6

I think that what Ralf is implying is that the “let’s be inspired by vernacular sign lettering” is mostly a narrative used to justify what otherwise could be seen just as yet another geometric sans. This is even more evident with lowercase, for which there really aren’t many models in architectural lettering. Gotham seems to have used mostly Avenir as a model there, while another similar attempt, Novecento, perhaps rightly skipped lowercase altogether. 

Ah okay :) To me there seems to be more originality in Montserrat's lowercase than Gotham's compared to Proxima ;)