Check out our typography channel on Instagram

A Spot of Dissertation help (Helvetica and its impact)

crazyreaper
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

hey all, this is my first post on the forms, i use to pop by the site for information now and again but as im a bit stuck on my dissertation at the moment i thought i would ask if any of you kind people would help.

Im writing my dissertation on Helvetica and its impact from release to modern day and im currently writing about the the early days when the Internation Typographic Style cam to use and with it helvetica. im struggling for physical examples of its impact on publications and mainly corporate idents and visual communication system and was wondering if anyone could give me some good examples of pre and post war material from the same source. i have plenty of random pieces but neither are from the same original source such as Coca Cola.

im also struggling to find any companies that switched from x typeface to helvetica in the 60's

also if anyone has any other pointers about things i should included in the essay they will be well received as tbh im am awful at writing essays.

Matt

Dunwich Type

Taschen did a series of books under the heading “All-American Ads” for every decade from from the 1900s up to the 1980s. They’re cheap and commonly found in libraries, so even if your local library doesn’t have them you can just use an inter-library loan to get them sent over. Use these books to find corporations that went to Helvetica, and from there you can start tracking down non-advertising pieces.

There are several good books on Vignelli that will have a lot of “after” images, and for the high-profile identities like American Airlines you should be able to track down “before” images with help from librarians. You should also contact the Knoll furniture company and see if there is somewhere in England that you can look over a collection of their identity materials pre and post Vignelli.

crazyreaper

Quick Update:

WOW! just what i was looking for, and i cant believe my university has the All-American Ads series on its shelf and has a book called Penguin By Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005 which looks fantastic for the Penguin lead

thanks!

crazyreaper

Theres actually not a lot of Helvetica used by Penguin a lot of it seems to be... cant find it now, but not helvetica, was a different type face based on Akzidentz Grotesk (spelling)

Nick Shinn

That would be Standard, a British and American "clone" of AG.
There wasn't always a compunction to stick rigidly with one sans face for a corporate style.
Standard, Helvetica, Univers, Venus...

• 3 years later...
oldnick

some good examples of pre and post war material from the same source. i have plenty of random pieces but neither are from the same original source such as Coca Cola.

There will be NO pre-war examples.

im also struggling to find any companies that switched from x typeface to helvetica in the 60's

Monkey see, monkey do.

also if anyone has any other pointers about things i should included in the essay they will be well received as tbh im am awful at writing essays.

This is a larger problem. The easiest fix is to hire an English major, assuming that they still exist…

Chris Dean

@crazyreaper: When asking for help on a bulletin board for something as important as a dissertation, be sure to cite it properly, lest your committee bust you for plagiarism. According to APA 6.0 the proper way to do this is:

Dean, C. (2012, October 24). Re: Thread title (Online forum comment). Retrieved from http://url of the thread

In this case, replace my name and date with the time and person who answered your question.