The type specimens of the world in one database …

A font similar to Giorgio

akira1975
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

A Japanese designer has released a font, called ‘Readymade’.
It is similar to Giorgio by Christian Schwartz.

Of course, the x-height of Readymade is shorter than the one of Giorgio, and the characters are not the very same as characters of Giorgio. But Readymade seems to be inspired by Giorgio and Corvinus.

The designer is selling Readymade for commercial use, but it is downloadable freely only in this November for personal use.

guifa

The influence is completely obvious, but at the same time, there are a good number of differences besides just the x-height. While he should probably mention his inspiration, this doesn't seem as much of a rip off as some of the other fonts recently posted on here. To be honest I like his lowercase better :)

«El futuro es una línea tan fina que apenas nos damos cuenta de pintarla nosotros mismos». (La Luz Oscura, por Javier Guerrero)

akira1975

Thank you for your opinions. They are very helpful.
Yes, indeed there are many differences, though they are similar.
It might not necessarily a rip-off. I might have been out of line.

Schwartz credits Corinus here
Thanks. I know it. That is why I put a link to Christian’s site.

Nick Shinn

But Readymade seems to be inspired by Giorgio and Corvinus.

If you believe that to be true, why did you use the inflammatory word "rip-off" in the title of this thread?

jselig

This style of lettering is my favourite to draw by hand, and I wasn't previously familiar with Giorgio, to say someone else created something similar is more inspiration than a rip off in my books. In my minds eye I always akin my drawings to a condensed Didot.

akira1975

If you believe that to be true, why did you use the inflammatory word “rip-off” in the title of this thread?

Because I thought it was inspired too much. But I might have used an improper word. I was out of line. I’m sorry. I have edited the title.

mrmucca

It is funny to see these type published nowadays.
The first type I ever designed (with FontStudio 1.0!!!) was a copy (read "inspired") of a typeface that the magazine Premiere was using for their titles around 1991-92.
I rely liked that typeface, and i wanted to use it, but I had no idea how to get it, so I decided to make my own version of that font as an exercise to learn how to design a typeface.

For everybody amusement you can see the results. Don't laugh too hard please.

Only many years later I learned that the original type was called Corvinus Versailles and it was designed by Dennis Ortiz Lopez.

My congratulations to both Christian and Flop Design for their more professional work.

piccic

If you believe that to be true, why did you use the inflammatory word “rip-off” in the title of this thread?

I think it's just because Akira is japanese, Nick, and – like me – he often misuses an English word missing most of its possible impact on an English-native person.
For the little I have read, it seems to me Akira is so positively interested in the Latin alphabet that it should be praised, there are a little number of Japanese designer taking Latin seriously; for many of them, Latin is quite a fascinating "fashion" and nothing more…

Personally I don't like Giorgio so much, since, despite the big work on type families like that, there is not enough departure (for my conception) from the original model. I do not mean this ethically, of course, (there is plenty of it), I am just talking in terms of design.

@Matteo: Ciao Matteo, come stai? :=)
Matteo has been one of the first (and few) designers to use my Ottomat in our native Italy.
On a side note, his cover for the essay "Impossibilities" by John D. Barrow shows one of the most conscious and accomplished examples of Barry Deck's "post-modern" typeface Template Gothic in use.