Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

InDesign: Optical Margin Alignment

Pedro Peixoto
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hello everyone.

Anyone knows if it's possible to define the Optical Margin Alignment (aka Hanging Punctuation) in paragraph styles?

Thanks.
Pedro Peixoto

billtroop

There's no good reason to use Hanging Punctuation in InDesign. You can customize it and style it in Quark 8 and -- believe it or not -- Ventura.

genericboy

I don't think so - you can set it per story (Type > Story) but that's about it I believe. I could be wrong though, and it may have been implemented in recent versions (I still have CS2 running).

[semibad]

Dunwich Type

Optical margin alignment cannot be set in paragraph styles (even though it is applied at the paragraph level!). This is a symptom of Adobe’s broken development methodology: add new features, advertise them, and then forget about them. It’s a real shame that the Indesign team has allowed this feature to wither as the only option int a menu item that isn’t even relevant in the Latin version of Indesign, because with a little polish it would be so useful! I recommend that you file a feature request to move optimal margin alignment to the paragraph settings, along with the addition of control over what does and doesn’t hang.