The type specimens of the world in one database …

Student looking for a design job. Advice Please!

shawn_grant
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I've been doing freelance web and graphic design work for about three years now but have been considering finding a job with a design company to get a more steady source of income. I'm also a student so I'd be looking for something part time. Is it possible to find a part time design job? Where should I look? I've tried craigslist but haven't had too much luck. Also, I'm sure it varies from region to region, but how much can I expect to make at my experience level?

bemerx25

I'd see if your school has any jobs - my university was wonderful in providing many opportunities for students to find "school friendly" employment. Perhaps your school has similar opportunities? That's where I'd first look.

You might also see if design studios in your area offer internships. This is a great way to gain experience, build a portfolio, build relationships, and be able to work part-time (although that really depends on the studio). You'll probably not make a lot as far as money goes, but it's usually a great learning experience. Your school may have services to help you find internships.

As far as pay goes, it all really depends on your portfolio, experience, and focus with a bit of geography and a touch of local economic climate interleaved into the mix. In other words, you'll have to figure that out based on the above variables. You may want to check AIGA (http://www.aiga.org/) for additional resources on figuring that out.

Finally - good luck and happy job hunting!