The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Dwiggins Falcon promotional poster

afonseca1974
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi everyone!

Does anyone here as a sample (Hires please) of William Addison Dwiggins Falcon promotional poster? Or a sample in use? Does any digital version of it exists?
Thanks in advance.

António Fonseca

kentlew

There has been no digitization that I'm aware of. I think Dorothy Abbe (WAD's heir) denied permission during her lifetime.

I'm not aware of any promotional poster for Falcon. The fonts were only published posthumously, released in 1961 under Jackson Burke's supervision, many years after Dwiggins had passed away. WAD did some preparations on a promotional booklet (specimen) in 1943. I've seen some of the setups in the C.H. Griffith archive, but I'm not sure it was ever published when the fonts were released, and I've never run across the printed piece (though I'd love to add it to my collection).

I have some proofs of Falcon, but I'm not inclined to post hi-res images to the Internet. What's your specific interest? Feel free to contact me off-line.

Maybe I can trade you for some Quinto do Noval Nacional 2000 vintage . . .

Just kidding ;-)

-- Kent.

kentlew

Well, except that Tiffany actually has an example of the first Falcon design, the one that was eventually scrapped and never produced.

Tiff -- Do you still have that issue of the Dolphin that you outbid me for at a TypeCon auction? There's a story (a Poe story, I think) set in Falcon Experimental No. 249. I think it's unidentified and uncredited.

-- K.