The type specimens of the world in one database …

KERN The Game

FORMation
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Our design studio just released a new game for the iPhone on which we'd love to get some feedback: KERN.
We are developing some graphic-design oriented titles and wanted to make something specifically for our type loving friends!

You can see a video preview here.

The App is available at the App Store as well.

The project is also featured in detail at the FORMAtion site.

Let us know what you think!

nina

This is fun! Good work guys. I just tried it. It's pretty hard, too!

Minor critique: One thing I'd really really wish for is high scores. This way, it's kind of sad how the end of the game seems to only be defined by the negative (losing all five "ligature" bonuses); it would be nice to introduce a positive incentive to keep playing (apart from learning about spacing!).

Also, a big wish for version 2 would be not being limited to Helvetica. ;-)

FORMation

We do have the SCORES in the main menu that tracks the high scores for the games...based on how many points you score and how many words you get thru. Tracking the scores to a national database is something we would like to add, as well as more variety for the typefaces. Thanks for giving it a try!

patrickberkeley

The falling words is okay, but for a learning/teaching tool I think it would be more useful to have a static word with one or more missing letters that you need to shift left/right. After you submit your answer it's graded the way your game currently does it.

Perhaps you could offer a few options for how the words appear? Falling, shifting, bouncing, static, etc.

dtw

Can anyone fix the apostrophe abuse in the instructions page? "Place the missing letter of each falling word in it's correct position by..."

...it is or it has?

Grot Esqué

The falling words is okay, but for a learning/teaching tool I think it would be more useful to have a static word with one or more missing letters that you need to shift left/right.

Agreed. Also the time one has to wait for the word to fall near enough for gauging is sometimes a little too long.

Anyway, great stuff!

FORMation

Great comments all. Thanks for the feedback. That apostrophe hurts! That's what I get for working with no sleep! Will fix! Although the game is not intended as a true teaching tool, we hoped it might intrigue some players to be more interested in typography.