Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Small Caps Font Versions: Useful or Redundant?

phrostbyte64
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I've seen fonts that were small caps due to the font's complexity. I've also noticed that other fonts with a standard lower case are sometimes release in a small caps versions. Are there any guidelines for creating a small caps version of a font. Are small caps version used, or are they redundant? Who thinks the question itself is redundant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...from the Fontry

cuttlefish

It's arguable that small caps are even more useful in display settings, since the lack of descenders can make for a more compact line.

FrankSmith

I use small caps when I design metal plaques. My recent favorite for this is Jos Buivenga's Fontin. I use it where mixed case might be used (especially lists of names) but upper case is more formal. The larger first letter aids legibility. It is very satisfying to see my designs cast in bronze (and other metals, too).

bronze plaque

Dan Gayle

Depending on how "showy" it is. If it's an ultralight Didone that would never be used for text, I'd say for sure. If it's Curlz, I'd say, What's the point?