The type specimens of the world in one database …

Guardian Font Substitute

jarbinson
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hey,
I'm a big admirer of the layout/typography of the Guardian newspaper. Since 2005 the publication has used a bespoke Egyptian typeface called 'Guardian', designed by Christian Schwartz - http://www.christianschwartz.com/guardian.shtml. The entire family is made up of Guardian Egyptian, Guardian Sans, Guardian Text Egyptian, Guardian Text Sans and Guardian Agate.

Unfortunately the font is not available for licensing yet (though it states on his site that it will be available in 2009)... I was wondering though, would anyone would be aware of a similar font family available already?... preferably that had a comparable family size - at least an Egyptian and Sans version anyway.

Thanks

jarbinson

The Stag Family is a beautiful font... Looking into buying it when I can spare the cash!... Out of interest... Would anyone have any other recommendations regarding Egyptian fonts? Possibly ones that work well in body copy? I haven't used them much in my design work... although they seem to be increasingly popular in current publications... GQ's use of Soho to name but one... so any advice/tips would be greatly welcomed (i.e font combinations)
Thanks v. much for the feedback so far.

P.S Love your Whitman font Kent... Will be def keeping it in mind for future work.

metaspace

Hi, jarbinson,

I think you might give a second thought to PF Centro (aka PF Agora). It has three families: Sans Pro, Serif Pro and Slab Pro. But what doesn't make it an optimal choice is its price: the total price of the 3 families is 1615EURO=625 EURO(Sans Pro)+365 EURO(Serif Pro)+625EURO(Slab Pro)

Compared to PF Centro, A complete Stag family is only priced at 750USD (at Village's online store)

I hope PF Centro can be a good alternative for you, depsite its high price.:-)

JZ