Join our community of friends of typography!

Elegant serif for very small sizes

MATOI Design Lab
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

What is in your opinion the most readable serif typo for very small sizes such as 5pt.?

Jongseong

Going for elegance at small sizes could be tricky, since features that are often associated with elegance such as delicate hairlines don't work at those scales. Anyway, I'll add Fedra Serif A to the list of suggestions.

Dan Gayle

FF Clifford Six is very nice.

@joeclark
Seriously? Souvenir? I guess that the large x-height and lower contrast would certainly work well at those sizes. I've never tried it though, since it wouldn't have been the first to come to mind.

paul d hunt

I haven't seen any suggestions so far that have fit the 'elegant' criteria. Here are a few choices:
Freight Micro
Cycles Five
Arno Caption

William Berkson

I think elegant doesn't go together with readable at small size, particularly for lower case.

But they can look good. And if you want to go all cap, as your example indicates, then Engravers Gothic or Copperplate Gothic are among the most readable tiny, because of their wide characters.