Check out our typography channel on Instagram

space after asterisk in a footnote?

fi
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

or

metalfoot

I'm no professional, but my gut instinct would be yes. You'd be best served waiting for someone who knows what they're talking about stopping by here though. :)

Florian Hardwig

Whatever looks good to you (in the target medium, that is). Depends on the font, the size, … Could be a full space, half a space, …

dtw

But certainly some sort of space is gonna work better in the long run than none at all. Consider whether any of the notes will run to more than one line: are you going to do a hanging indent? If yes, that would support the space. Might there ever be two footnotes on one page? Asterisk & dagger aren't necessarily going to have the same width so some tab-based space would then make sense to line up the text of both notes. If you were doing numbered footnotes, they'd certainly have a space!

johnnydib

Hanging indent and tabs, totally.
I'm no professional either, but Robert Bringhurst stresses it should same typeface as the footnotes not as the body text.

will powers

en space following the asterisk (or dagger or footnote number [which should be followed by a period]).

asterisk should be the same size and face as the footnote.

no hang.

powers

Don McCahill

> Might there ever be two footnotes on one page?

I've done scholarly notes, with up to 20 on a page (at worst). Those would be numbered notes, however.

For symbol notes, there is a progression of about six symbols (asterisk, dagger, double dagger, section mark, paragraph mark ... ??? my mind is foggy, perhaps someone else will clarify.) I believe the rule is that if you pass the six, you start to double asterisk, etc. (But over six notes on a page and you really should be using numbered notes. )

dtw

I think I've seen double-vertical-bar used as the next one in the succession after the paragraph mark. But, yes, whoever did that should really have been numbering them instead...