Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Alternatives to Avant Garde

Yehan
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Anyone know of fonts that are similar to it, but not quite the same...dreariness?

johnnydib

Depending on the application, Avenir is a good alternative. Avenir is more of a silent typeface though. There's a Device font that I had the chance to use once on a poster. I think it was called Regulator, and I remember saying it had a Avant-Garde feel. I don't know I don't have it here but try it.

Yehan

Hmm..I wasnt' even looking at it so specifically, just looking for faces that have a geometric look and feel, ball-and-stick enough to resemble loosely avant garde.

Similar as in Avenir/Avant Garde? Does that help?
Sorry, very hard to express it really...

Yehan

Ooh..Mr Coles replied! Yeah..I looked at that, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest other, less well known alternatives..something fresh.

David Rault

Futura (Paul Renner)
Avenir (Adrian Frutiger)
Register Sans (Brian Bonislawsky)
Gotham (Tobias Frere-Jones)
Century Gothic (Sol Hess)
Neutra Display (Richard Neutra, Christian Schwartz)
Penumbra Sans (Lance Hidy)
Verlag (Tobias Frere-Jones, Jonathan Hoefler)

Yehan

Graphik is beautiful...but it's still unavailable isn't it? :(

Thanks everyone for the rest of the "ideas" I've not seen Register Sans or Regulator before...but good to know!

David Rault

Mark: Sure, but I couldn't find any name of a specific designer about Century Gothic, so I had to go back to the closest match, Sol Hess and his "strongly influenced by Futura" Twentieth Century. It's better than acknowledging nobody, and it's far less stretched than attributing ITC Garamond to Claude Garamont (with a T).

dr

Yehan

LOL..I doubt anyone would want to claim credit for Century Gothic. You wouldn't believe how many companies and corporations use it:(

csr

Yehan: We purchased a beta release of Graphik at our office...You certainly could inquire with CommercialType if you could do the same.
I should mention that our beta version does not include the light weight at this time.