Join our community of friends of typography!

Type-timeline?

eskalation.dk
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi, i need a good resource (preferably online), where i can find a timeline that categorizes fonts. I have a type examination coming up and im not feeling well read on this subject.

Im thinking age. Which characteristics defines 1500th century fonts, 1600th century fonts and so on!

Thanks in advance.

fabi

Can your instructors point you to reference works so you can prepare for the examination? Were any handouts provided? Do you have access to a good design library?

There are so many different systems to categorize fonts. Take a look at Luc Devroye's extensive overview at
http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/classify.html

In Switzerland a lot of schools still teach the DIN system or Bosshard's modified version of it. Three books that are often recommended:
Schriften erkennen: Sauthoff, Wendt, Willberg (Verlag H. Schmidt)
Technische Grundlagen zur Satzherstellung: Hans-Rudolf Bosshard (Niggli)
Buchstaben kommen selten allein: Indra Kupferschmid (Niggli)

Indra Kupferschmid's book contrasts the historical classification (DIN) and the classification according to formal principles (static/dynamic) which Gerrit Noordzij described in detail.