The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Beautiful Hand-Lettered Thermometer Type...

SWriverstone

Hi Everyone:

Several years ago, I was cross-country skiing in West Virginia. The ski hut had what appeared to be an old thermometer with what appeared to be hand-lettered type. It has a rustic, somewhat Scandinavian look to it—very angular and geometric...yet also very organic at the same time.

I'm curious if anyone here has ever seen this before? I'm assuming there is no digital version of this. I'd pay to have a digital font of this—it would be great project (possibly difficult, since all the characters aren't there).

I've attached a JPEG. Any thoughts?

Scott

IMG_3571.JPG

Ralf Herrmann

It wouldn’t be too hard to extrapolate the design principle onto the missing letters. But I doubt it would result in a font someone would actually want to use. 

Riccardo Sartori
26 minutes ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

I doubt it would result in a font someone would actually want to use.

One never knows. I think, for example, it wouldn’t look out of place on the album cover from some metal/industrial rock band. Or on the book cover of a steampunk fairy tale.