The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

looking for text in Czech, Icelandic for type specimen

omar
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

hi guys,

i'm working on my type specimen booklet for my new font...i'm looking for a few lines about typography in the following languages

- Czech
- Icelandic
- Greenlandic
- Finnish

i just need a few lines (5 or 6) to show the language suport of the font...i can find text in those languages on the net but not about typography...could someone maybe help out here? or some links maybe.

all help much appreciated.

have a good one

paragraph

About my favourite Czech typographer:

Náchodský (plhovský) rodák Oldřich Hlavsa se v letech 1924–1928 vyučil typografem v Náchodě u Václava Rydla, tehdy samozřejmě v klasické ruční tiskárně, v době, kdy typografové velmi dbali na úroveň a čest svého řemesla. Pracoval pak v několika dalších náchodských tiskárnách. V roce 1934 na sebe upozornil v soutěži na plakát. Koncem třicátých let odešel do Prahy jako faktor do tiskárny Solidarita. Od čtyřicátých let graficky upravoval prestižní časopis Typografia, který ovlivňoval lepší část českého tisku. Od r. 1950 byl členem Svazu čs. výtvarných umělců, v polovině padesátých let se stal samostatným výtvarníkem a věnoval se převážně knižní typografii.

From the article: Aleš Fetters: Oldřich Hlavsa
http://unas.svkhk.cz/pdf_archiv/0644.pdf

Nick Shinn

My version of Georgia doesn't support a lot of those Czech characters, so they're defaulting to Arial in my browser.

Anybody else have that problem?

Nick Shinn

My Mac dates from 2006, as does the Czech-challenged Georgia, although the system was upgraded last year.

asgj

Try this from wikipedia about typography (icleandic):

Leturfræði er myndlist sem samanstendur af letursetningu, leturhönnun, og breytingu tákna. Leturtákn eru sköpuð og breytt með ýmsum aðferðum. Letursetning varðar um val stafagerða, leturstærð, línulengd, línuþéttleiki, leturþjöppun og stafþjöppun.

Leturfræði og prentlist eru yfirleitt framkvæmd af letursetjarum, grafískum hönnuðum, listrænu stjornandum. Þangað til í dag var prentlist sérhæfð atvinnugrein en í dag tölvur geta yfirtekið margar aðferðir prentlistar.

http://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leturfræði

Bendy

What an interesting challenge to find typographic text in Greenlandic!

Short of finding a Greenlandic speaker here on Typophile (which may not be unlikely) your best bet might be one of the following:

A site that has English-Greenlandic-French text about a downloadable Greenlandic font

This languages website has a 'contact me' button where you could e-mail and ask them to write a short paragraph in Greenlandic perhaps?

Hope that's helpful ;)

Ross Mills

A site that has English-Greenlandic-French text about a downloadable Greenlandic font

I'm afraid this isn't Greenlandic (Kalaallisut). There is much in common with Inuktitut (and dialects thereof) and Kalaallisut, but the relevant issue here is of orthography. Kalaallisut uses only the letters: [a e f g i j k l m n o p q r s t u v] in upper- or lowercase, plus standard numerals and punctuation (inc. guillemot). In terms of supporting any ‘extra’ diacritics, language support for Danish would be more relevant.

Older (pre-early 1970's) did use some diacritics and the ‘kra’ (voiceless uvular plosive) [ĸ], so the only environment in which it would be used would be to reproduce older texts, unless there's another spelling reform. Nowadays, as in Latin-based Inuktitut orthographies, the ‘q’ is used.

I think you may have a difficult time finding texts in Kalaallisut that talk about typography, but you never know.