The type specimens of the world in one database …

Preview of Firefox 3.5's @font-face support

billy_
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Here's a look at the soon-to-be-released Firefox 3.5 support for @font-face:
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2009/06/beautiful-fonts-with-font-face/

Of some interest:

By default, Firefox 3.5 only allows fonts to be loaded for pages served from the same site. This prevents sites from freely using fonts found on other sites. For sites that explicitly want to allow cross-site font sharing, an online font library for example, Firefox 3.5 supports the use of access control headers to control this behavior.

There is a section on "respect for font licensing", though it's glossed over - which is probably for the best since it's not the browsers job to enforce i.p. (IMHO).

Si_Daniels

I think John Daggett and co. deserve some credit for this small, but still significant, concession to the font community.

Dunwich Type

I think John Daggett and co. deserve some credit for this small, but still significant, concession to the font community.

I second that motion. Maybe simple concessions like this, and possibly supporting FB’s permission bits, could prevent us from ending up with another font format entering the mix.

Si_Daniels

I wouldn't go that far :-)

This prevents rougue web-sites linking to pirate font archives in un-enforcible countries simply to avoid acting upon foundries take-down notices.

Doesn't really address the core issue of commercial foundries not wanting to license fonts for web use.