The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Auto Justification for Nastaliq kashida ligatures?

arifkarim
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi,
I was wondering if there is anyway to turn on auto-justification for nastaliq kashida ligatures in Indesign CS5? I already have added lots of kashida ligatures, and now I am trying to make them "appear" automatically when space adjusted. So I read through opentype tags, and found table which does the job. Unfortunately, it is limited to only init, medi and fina forms... :(
"The jalt table maps the initial, medial, final or isolated forms to their corresponding alternate forms"
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_fj.htm

Also I have seen another rare feature called "Stretched Alternate". But I am not sure what tag it uses in opentype. Any suggetions? :)

John Hudson

'Stretched Alternate' is not a registered OTL feature. It is a private feature used by WinSoft in some of their older fonts.

arifkarim

Thnx John. My problem is solved using "Jalt" Justification Alternate. What i did it is that I let nastaleeq ligatures "rlig" correspond to their kasheeda alternates in the "jalt" table. Doing so creates "auto-kashida" in indesign cs5 when Kashidas and Naskh Alignment is checked :)