The type specimens of the world in one database …

Font Collection: categories and sub-categories

inkxel
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I am in the process of cleaning up my fontcase library and I am starting off this time by taking better care to define each font into a collection. I have my basic classifications listed already; serif, sans serif, blackletter, script etc etc...

What I am looking for is good deeper classifications others may be using.
Some other Categories I have are Condensed Serif, Condensed Sans Serif and Wood Type

I know these may differ depending on the persons library and preference but I was curious to see how others are breaking their libraries down and hope to get some good ideas in the mean time.

inkxel

@eliason Thank you for those links. They are helpful.
I did find a few of them before posting as well but had not thought to post them for reference.
I wasn't able to find any recent threads and only a few posts really broke it down in the form I was looking for.

as a jumping point this is a combination of what I have been using as well as multiple categories I have added from my research the last few days.

-Serif
-Sans Serif
-Script
-Slab Serif
-Condensed Serif
-Condensed Sans Serif
-Small Caps
-Wood Type
-Black Letter
-Ornament
-Angular
-Numbers
-Distressed
-Deco
-Retro
-Handwriting
-Sign Painter
-Headline Serif
-Headline Sans Serif
-Body Serif
-Body Sans Serif
-Generic Logo Fonts

Its a lot of classifications but they become quite useful for me, I am a freelance designer and jump around from packaging to branding to publishing and these categories allow me to quickly grab what I need. These are built from necessity and experience but I am always open to others thoughts and critiques.

• 1 year later...
jollibee

BeeFont is very good alternative to Fontcase. It is the ultimate font utility for users who require a quick, easy and comprehensive overview of all their fonts on Mac.