The type specimens of the world in one database …

OpenType feature support in web browsers

typodermic
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I'd like to direct my customers to current information about which current browsers support OpenType features. I think class based kerning and default ligatures (liga) features are supported by some browsers but I'm not sure which ones. Is someone keeping score?

typodermic

It sounds like Firefox's liga (standard ligatures) feature is on by default? Do Safari & Chrome have liga turned on by default?

Can anyone confirm the class based kerning works in either Chrome, Firefox or Safari?

Ralf H.

It sounds like Firefox's liga (standard ligatures) feature is on by default?

It depends on the type size.

Do Safari & Chrome have liga turned on by default?

AFAIK not. But there are extensions for Safari and Chrome to set "rendering:optimizeLegibility" for every page automatically.

Can anyone confirm the class based kerning works in either Chrome, Firefox or Safari?

It is triggered the same way as the ligature support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
PabloImpallari

Firefox has .liga tured on by default.
Nice :)

Now it seems that it also have .calt turned on by default?
Not nice :(

Anyone can confirm that .calt is ON by default?
Mmm... maybe it's nice :) if I rethink my programming

Ralf H.

The point of the CALT feature is to improve the text display for certain letter combinations. So turning it on by default is the recommended behavior – in contrast to something as DLIG, SSxx and the like.

Khaled Hosny

calt should be on by default, if your font is using it for a non-default substitution, then you are using the wrong feature tag (note, the substitution can still be contextual but under a different tag, e.g. dlig, this is very legitimate).

• 9 months later...
John Hudson

'ccmp' is a default feature in most OTL shaping engines, so should be applied automatically, i.e. you don't need to specify it in CSS for browser use.