The type specimens of the world in one database …

"Bouma" enters the Official Dictionary of Unofficial English

Number3Pencils
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I was researching something else today and I found the pretty well put together Official Dictionary of Unofficial English (it even has a quote from William Safire on the cover!). And it includes Hrant's famous "bouma", along with a quote from him as one of its seminal uses.

I couldn't find any evidence that this news has been broken to Hrant and the rest of the Typophile community, so I thought I ought to make a topic.

• 2 weeks later...
William Berkson

Nice! By the way, Peter Enneson tells me that in Dutch the "ou" in Bouma is pronounced as "ow" in "cow", not as "oo" in "boom". Does the dictionary indicate the pronunciation?

hrant

Yes, it's "ow". I used to pronounce it "oo" (even though I knew
of the native pronunciation) but Peter eventually convinced me
to use "ow" instead. For one thing it makes it sound fancier. :-)

hhp

Theunis de Jong

Peter Ennison, of this book?

(Fast-reading the colophon brings back memories. I have worked with both Françoise Berserik and with the late Teus de Jong!)

• 1 year later...