The type specimens of the world in one database …

Help me please! About Typography Master Degree!

Gunarta
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

im Indonesian.Im not rich and im not poor (im ordinary).

I love typography a lot. I want to learn typography much more. I want to go to university and there is no specific typography university in Indonesia even in Asia. But, it seems so hard to find the proper university that provide scholarship. I prefer to go to Netherlands, Germany, France, Italy, USA, Aus, and Other countries (except England and Japan -- coz the currency with IDR is extremely yaa.. you know)

I want your suggestion please... and please keep sharing if your are the one who studies in typography institute. All about typography institute in that mentioned countries.

Additional: What is the best Typography institute?

Thanks.
regard
Gunarta :)

Christopher Dean

eliason’s link is a good place to start.

I don’t know a lot about typeface design programs. I focus on how typography influences human performance such as reading comprehension. Before you decide where you want to spend your time and money, you really need to focus on your area of interest. Letterforms, history, technology, human performance… Who would you like to employ you, and for what, when you are complete?

Answer these questions and your choice will present itself.

Gunarta

i wanna be typographer. Build a typography school in Indonesia (coz there is no typography school in indonesia) or being lecturer in typography

Christopher Dean

If you wish to enter into academia, and be taken seriously, I suggest you work on your capitalization, punctuation and limit your use of slang when speaking publicly.

Thomas Phinney

If you want to go into academia, you could also look at the PhD program at Reading. Generally speaking a PhD is a major edge in academic circles.

Cheers,

T

Gunarta

@dean, sorry with my language. It just... umm.. School in Indonesia teach more US English than British English (and people more like to practice US Slang English, because its more popular and slang)

@hrant: People always talk that we must make the highest goal in this life. So i do :) and i wish that will be come true

@thomas: thanks, cheers :)

• 11 months later...
Christopher Dean

@Gunarta: If you are interested in starting a school, then you will require many skills. Sadly, the top of the list will most likely be business, management, and administration. Next, you will require knowledge of pedagogy (in an educational context). Rhetoric and semiotics can’t hurt either. THEN, you can start focusing on subject matter.

You need to ask yourself what do you want your school to teach? And you can’t answer “typography.” That’s about as broad as saying “art” which could mean:

painting
drawing
film
photography
sculpture
wood working
metal working
foundry
jewelry
holloware
textiles
fashion
sculpture
pottery
stone working
print making
screen printing
interactive media
performance
installation
interpretive dance
history…

Start small.

If you were to teach just one course at someone else’s school, what would it be?