The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Design bookstores across the USA

Samo
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi all,

I am from the UK and I am looking to put a list together of good design bookstores across the USA. Mainly looking in the big cities, New York, LA, Chicago etc. but if anyone knows of any really great ones dotted around it would be cool to hear about them.

I hope someone can help.

Many thanks,
Sam

Max Phillips

Nothing can replace the late, great Untitled on Prince Street in NYC. The last I heard of Bevan Davies, its sainted owner, he was trying his hand at farming in Maine. But St. Marks Books, though not a design bookstore per se, has a great selection. It's now round the corner from St. Marks Place on Stuyvesant Street, though its mailing address for some reason is 31 3rd Avenue.

And, though I'll be flamed for this, many of the big Barnes & Nobles in Manhattan are actually quite strong on both graphic design books and magazines. They're not a pleasure to browse, but they've got the goods, and that does count.

Jackson

In Chicago:

The MCA bookstore is the best place to go for art and design books.

The Powell's locations are all pretty great for design/type/booksonbooks.

There's Prairie Avenue Books, oh wait, they just closed. Crap. Anyway, they were awesome. http://www.pabook.com/

That's all I can think of off-hand.