The type specimens of the world in one database …

Copyright Issues for Unicode T-Shirt

Ramfublio
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I was going to design a series of t-shirts based on the Unicode Standard*, but I am worried they will violate the copyright of the charts.

My questions are:

How different would they have to be from the posted PDF charts? In other words, can I use a grid?
    Can I mention the word "Unicode"?
    Assuming I own the typeface, is it a violation of the EULA to list all characters in a given block?

Thank you for any input you can give me.

-Neil

*I realize that it is rather foolish to mention this idea to a group of professional designers, but I trust you.

hrant

My gut feeling is none of these are a problem, even if you ridicule
the idea of Unicode, which you're probably not doing anyway.
BTW if you make one for Armenian I'll be your first customer!

Do note however that -fortunately for everybody- I'm not a lawyer.

hhp

Bendy

Sounds fun. To be sure, I'd e-mail the consortium to see how they feel. I'd attach a mockup graphic so they have a clear idea what you're intending.

The EULA question is probably more complicated and would depend on the foundry. Again, I'd check with them to be on the safe side.

Joshua Langman

The Unicode site says:

"You may freely use these code charts for personal or internal business uses only. You may not incorporate them wholly or in part into any product or publication, or otherwise distribute them without express written permission from the Unicode Consortium. However, you may provide links to these charts."

They also claim copyright in the information expressed in the charts. Additionally, according to this page (http://unicode.org/policies/logo_policy.html), "Unicode" is a registered trademark.

These may be things you want to consider, even though I think it's a great idea.

hrant

Oh.
Pretty strange for an entity created simply to promulgate something.

If I had adopted such a stance my Armenian keyboard
layout would never have made it into Windows and OSX.

hhp

oldnick

Hrant,

Not so strange. When I created my freeware fonts, I intended for them to be free. If, subsequently, someone takes my freeware and sells it, I am not pleased.

Of course, this analogy only works if the OP poster is planning on selling the shirts; if he's going to give them away, I don't see a problem…

hrant

But you make free fonts so that people notice your commercial fonts.
Isn't the Unicode Consortium not-for-profit? What do they lose if
somebody makes money while promoting their message? It seems to
me their message would in fact be promoted even faster if people were
allowed to freely make money from its promotion.

hhp