The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Turkey: a new symbol for the lira

hrant

Michael, there's an interesting passage in a newly posted online article you might want to read:
http://designtraveler.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/turkey-part-i-the-young-t...
It's the paragraph following the photo captioned "Turkish Delight / Antique tobacco packaging from an earlier Turkey".

Andreas: I hope you don't think your stance is discouraging people from resolving this fascinating design problem.* For one thing I don't know how half an anchor is less "decadent" than one-third of a crescent... It might seem strange to see an Armenian defending Turks, but I hope you eventually realize that you're being unnecessarily offensive.

* I myself will be working on it after my imminent trip to Istanbul.

hhp

HVB

It would look as if you'd inverted the numeral digit seven upside-down (inverted upside-down brings it back to right-side up, but we'll ignore that double inversion) and intersected two parallel lines through its stem.

hrant

Just wanted to share a photo I took in Istanbul on the 19th:

This was pretty much the norm, although "TL" still significantly outnumbers usage of the new symbol. But I think soon enough we'll see some proper glyphs hitting the streets.

hhp

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...