Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Fenland

William Berkson

I think that Caslon did hit a sweet spot for readability of extended text, but that doesn't mean you have to redo Caslon, as I did, to hit that sweet spot. So you can do new stuff as well with different aesthetics that also hit the sweet spot. Further, at larger sizes and shorter texts the demands of readability are more forgiving, and in many uses aesthetics is more important than optimum readability. Thus there is great scope for variations in fonts for headlines, signage, advertising, sidebars etc. etc.

I just expressed an opinion that Fenland wasn't going to thrive. I wasn't legislating, but expressing my hunch. Of course I may be wrong. But I also may be right.