Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

The Digital Divide

Ryan Maelhorn

I think the day when color fonts are pervasive, by which I mean everything from microsoft wordpad to the Sony Vegas video editor can use raster or gradient based color fonts will be a huge landmark in type design. There has been some discussion of this re the icons available for the iphone and windows 7 phones.

Of course after this will be pervasive 3 dimensional fonts, and after that 4 dimensional, the 4th dimension as time, and thus motion.

flooce

Of course after this will be pervasive 3 dimensional fonts, and after that 4 dimensional, the 4th dimension as time, and thus motion.

I am waiting to see a tasteful useage of that. :)

sko

My sister uses a Kindle a lot, but she uses it to read classic literature almost exclusively, as they are often sold for much cheaper than a retail bookstore or ordering a physical book. Her reading is sort of split 50/50 with physical books though (often got at similar prices from a 2nd hand bookstore).

For myself, I generally read illustrated or reference/textbooks which are unsuitable for electronic readers a lot of the time.

kmrado

@sko & @dezcom

You two both say you read illustrated books more classic literature. So graphic novels? Are they're any web based graphic novels you follow? (Penny Arcade, Nothing Nice To Say, etc...)

kmrado

@flooce

Does this mean your against the digitizing of type? What examples would you use that demonstrate the un-tasteful usage?

kmrado

@Ryan Maelhorn

You seem to be gun-hoe for augmented reality. After viewing your site, you design type as well. Do you design your type geared toward screen legibility?

kmrado

@Nick Shinn

Going viral, do you think that'll be the future for most writers? If so, how do you think that'll effect printed literature?

dezcom

The only graphic novels I have read were on paper (and written by my son). I am not familiar with any of the web based graphic novels you cited. Keep in mind that I am 68 years old.

5star

dez, coolness! Does he have anything up on Issuu dot com?

Have you seen the tv series Afro Samurai?

I'll be doing Lords of Graphite in sort of a graphic novel format but in moving imagery kind of like Afro Samurai :)

n.

quadibloc

I remember a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode in which an alien language whose written form consisted of whirling colored balls appeared on a computer screen... so apparently at least one alien civilization succumbed to this temptation.

dezcom

All the alien worlds I have visited no-longer require written language. They have perfected thought transformation to such a high degree that children, just after birth, are infused with all the knowledge of the cosmos in a few seconds time. The other good part is that cell phones have all vanished or been put in mental museums..

sko

@kmrado

I mean more of textbooks or art books, which need pictorial examples or largish pictures as the purpose.

I have read a few graphic novels, but it's not really something I do regularly; I don't read a lot of fiction in general.