Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Massive introductory discounts discussion

Ralf H.

Many retailers guarantee your paid price, and will refund the difference if the price drops or if you find it cheaper elsewhere.

That's something very different. If you would want to make that comparison, it would mean that a web shop like MyFonts would offer you a refund if you find the same font on FontShop.com. MyFonts would be willing to give up a little bit of their(!) profit in order to have you buy it on their website. The maker of that product (in this case the foundry) isn't even involved in this deal.
So those retailers fighting over the cheapest offer is something very different from makers of products setting up their prices (including sale offers).

And if you want to compare it with physical goods: Every season there are new clothes, and when the next season starts, there will be heavy discounts for the same products. Do you expect refunds when you paid the full price? It's the very same good offered for very different prices. The only thing that has changed is the time of the purchase.

The stock market is something else entirely where the assumption of risk is understood.

My point was: the two sides agree about worth and price. Why should a buying option for other (future) customers make a difference? If I decide to double the price of my font tomorrow, because it sells like hot cake, can I then come to you as someone who bought it yesterday, and ask for 100% more? I guess not!
You will say: a deal is a deal. If you don't want pay that additional price, then you also shouln’t ask for a refund, should the prices drop for a temporary sale offer.

Maybe I'm a dreamer but I still believe trust is an essential aspect of a commercial transaction.

Certainly! Now that there are over 100.000 fonts available and the font makers can’t control the prices thru proprietary typesetting machines anymore, the human connection between buyer and sellers becomes very important. Maybe not if you buy at fonts.com, but certainly for all the independent foundries.
But this trust doesn’t mean that I will keep my prices unchanged forever, so existing customers can still “feel good” about their purchases. You got the product you wanted and you got it for a price you considered acceptable at the time of the purchase. There is nothing to feel bad about, should the prices change (in one direction or the other).